- 4 lamb shanks, about 1 lb each
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups chicken or beef broth
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Season the lamb shanks with salt and black pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the lamb shanks and sear them on all sides until golden brown, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lamb shanks from the Dutch oven and set aside.
- Add the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic to the Dutch oven and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the broth, red wine, and rosemary to the Dutch oven and bring to a simmer.
- Return the lamb shanks to the Dutch oven, cover with a lid, and transfer to the oven. Bake for 2-3 hours, until the meat is tender and falls off the bone.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chopped mint leaves and red wine vinegar to make the sauce.
- Once the lamb shanks are done, remove them from the Dutch oven and place on a serving platter. Discard the rosemary sprigs.
- Skim the fat off the surface of the cooking liquid, and strain the liquid through a fine-mesh sieve into a separate bowl.
- Serve the lamb shanks hot, drizzled with the rosemary mint sauce.
This Lamb Shank with Rosemary Mint Sauce recipe is a classic dish that will never go out of style. The slow-cooking process ensures that the lamb shanks are cooked to perfection, and the rosemary mint sauce adds a refreshing touch to the rich and savory meat. This dish is