- 3 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and warm
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Cayenne pepper or paprika, for garnish (optional)
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the egg yolks and lemon juice together until they are thick and pale.
- Place the mixing bowl over a pot of simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water.
- Whisk the egg mixture constantly until it thickens and forms ribbons when the whisk is lifted, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the mixing bowl from the heat and slowly drizzle in the melted butter, whisking constantly, until the sauce is thick and creamy.
- Season the sauce with salt and black pepper to taste.
- If desired, garnish the hollandaise sauce with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper or paprika.
- Serve the hollandaise sauce immediately with your favorite dishes, such as poached eggs, steamed vegetables, or grilled seafood.
Enjoy your delicious hollandaise sauce!