For the blini:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup caviar
- Lemon wedges, for serving
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add enough vegetable oil to lightly coat the bottom of the skillet.
- Use a tablespoon to drop batter onto the skillet, making pancakes about 2 inches in diameter.
- Cook the blini until the edges start to dry out and the bubbles in the batter start to pop, about 1-2 minutes. Flip the blini and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on the other side.
- Repeat until all the batter is used up, adding more oil to the skillet as needed.
- In a small bowl, mix together the crème fraîche, chopped chives, and red onion.
- Top each blini with a dollop of the crème fraîche mixture and a spoonful of caviar.
- Serve the caviar blini with lemon wedges on the side.
Enjoy your delicious caviar blini!