French Cocktail Blini
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Toppings of your choice, such as smoked salmon, crème fraîche, caviar, or chopped herbs
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, sour cream, egg, and melted butter.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until the batter is smooth.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate the batter for at least 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
- Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat and lightly coat it with vegetable oil.
- Using a tablespoon measure, drop small rounds of batter onto the skillet or griddle, spacing them about 1 inch apart.
- Cook the blini until bubbles form on the surface and the edges are set, about 2 minutes.
- Flip the blini and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes on the other side, until golden brown.
- Serve the blini warm, topped with your choice of toppings.
This recipe is a great way to impress your guests with a sophisticated and delicious appetizer. The blini themselves are light and fluffy, with a delicate flavor that pairs well with a wide range of toppings. Some popular choices include smoked salmon, crème fraîche, caviar, or chopped herbs. Get creative and have fun with your toppings!