- 12 large raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, with the tail on
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup cold water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Sweet chili dipping sauce for serving
- In a bowl, whisk together the all-purpose flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt, and black pepper. Gradually add the cold water to the dry ingredients, whisking until a smooth batter forms.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pan over medium-high heat. The oil should be hot enough to fry the shrimp, but not smoking.
- Holding each shrimp by the tail, dip it into the batter to coat it evenly.
- Carefully place the battered shrimp into the hot oil, one at a time. Fry the shrimp for about 2-3 minutes, until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the fried shrimp from the oil and drain them on a paper towel.
- Serve the Fantail Vietnamese Fried Shrimp immediately with sweet chili dipping sauce on the side.
This recipe is simple to make and is sure to impress your guests with its crispy texture and delicious flavor. The batter adds a light crunch to the shrimp, while the sweet chili dipping sauce gives it a perfect kick of sweetness and spice. Enjoy!