- 1.2lbs ground meat (beef, pork, or lamb)
- 6oz foie gras, diced
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pie crust (store-bought or homemade)
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown the ground meat until it's cooked through. Drain any excess fat and set the meat aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onion, carrot, and celery until they're softened and lightly caramelized. Add the garlic and sauté for an additional minute.
- Return the cooked ground meat to the skillet with the vegetables. Add the diced foie gras, thyme, bay leaves, salt, and pepper. Stir well to combine and let the mixture simmer for a few minutes.
- Roll out the pie crust to fit a 7" pie dish. Transfer the crust to the dish and add the meat mixture. Cover with another layer of pie crust, pressing the edges together to seal. Cut a few slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pie for 35-40 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbly.
- Let the pie cool for a few minutes before slicing and serving.
This Meat Pie with Foie Gras is a sumptuous dish, with the richness of the foie gras perfectly complementing the savory ground meat.
A few tips to ensure that your pie turns out beautifully:
- Use high-quality foie gras that's fresh and free of additives.
- Don't overwork the pie crust, as this can cause it to become tough.
- For added flavor, you can add a splash of red wine or cognac to the meat mixture.
- Serve the pie with a simple green salad dressed with a light vinaigrette.
This recipe is sure to impress your guests and satisfy your craving for a truly indulgent meal. Enjoy!