Scallop carpaccio is a delicate and elegant dish that showcases the natural sweetness and tender texture of fresh scallops. This dish originated in Italy and has become a popular appetizer in many fine dining restaurants around the world. If you're looking to impress your guests with a sophisticated and visually stunning dish, then this scallop carpaccio recipe is perfect for you.
What is Scallop Carpaccio?
Scallop carpaccio is a dish made from thinly sliced raw scallops that are marinated in a flavorful dressing. The scallops are typically sliced paper-thin and arranged in a circular pattern on a plate. The dressing is usually a combination of citrus juice, olive oil, herbs, and seasonings. The acid in the dressing helps to "cook" the scallops, giving them a slightly firm texture while still maintaining their natural sweetness.
To make scallop carpaccio, you will need the following ingredients:
- Fresh scallops
- Lemon or lime juice
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh herbs (such as parsley, chives, or dill)
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
Follow these steps to create a delicious scallop carpaccio:
- Start by cleaning the scallops. Remove the tough muscle on the side of each scallop and discard.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the scallops horizontally into thin rounds. Aim for slices that are about 1/8 inch thick.
- Arrange the scallop slices in a circular pattern on a chilled plate.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon or lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, and a pinch of sea salt.
- Drizzle the dressing over the scallop slices, making sure to evenly coat each slice.
- Sprinkle freshly ground black pepper and chopped herbs over the top.
- Cover the plate with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes to allow the flavors to meld together.
- Remove the plastic wrap and serve the scallop carpaccio chilled.
Scallop carpaccio can be served as an appetizer or a light main course. It pairs well with a variety of accompaniments, such as:
- Crusty bread or crostini
- Microgreens or baby arugula
- Thinly sliced radishes or cucumbers
- Avocado slices
- Drizzles of balsamic glaze or truffle oil
Remember to use the freshest scallops you can find for the best flavor and texture. Enjoy the delicate flavors and textures of this exquisite dish!